Jorge Messi has confessed it is ‘difficult’ to see his son staying with Barcelona this summer as he prepares for showdown talks with club president Josep Bartomeu.
Messi’s father arrived in the Catalan city on Wednesday morning as he looks to gain clarity on the future of Lionel as he continues to boycott pre-season training in a bid to force through his departure.
As he emerged out of a taxi, a reporter quizzed Jorge Messi for any updates on the situation and while he remained tight-lipped, he did express that he feels it is difficult for Lionel to stay at the club given the player and club are at war now over his contract.
He was asked if there had been any contact with Manchester City, any negotiations with City boss Pep Guardiola, but he remained dismissive.
Messi is said to be keen to move to City so as to reunite with Guardiola, who managed him so successfully at Barcelona.
‘I don’t know,’ Jorge Messi said. ‘There’s nothing yet’.
Jorge Messi held the brief exchange before descending into what appeared to be an underground car park.
He is preparing to negotiate his son’s exit from the club this summer with the first face-to-face talks with Bartomeu since Messi sent a burofax to the club, informing them he wants to leave this summer, with Manchester City as his expected landing spot.
Bartomeu is reportedly only planning to use the meeting as a way to convince Messi to remain at the club.
The beleaguered president has a better relationship with Jorge Messi than he does with Lionel Messi and so is hopeful that can work to the club’s advantage during Wednesday’s crucial meeting.
Victor Font, a presidential candidate to replace Bartomeu at the elections in March, was left defeatist on Wednesday speaking to talkSPORT about the player’s future at the Nou Camp.
‘I’m truly hopeful reason prevails,’ he said. ‘Until he’s gone, we’ll continue hoping the situation changes.
‘What we need to ensure is that even if he leaves, these ties prevail.’