Hearts of Oak midfielder Emmanuel Nettey has expressed disappointment at the decision by the Ghana Football Association to cancel the 2019/20 Premier League season.
The midfielder who joined the Phobians in December 2019 is sad the league has been decleared null and void after 15 matches were played.
Speaking in an interview the former Inter Allies midfielder said he was hoping the league will resume at some point.
“It was a blow to me because I was expecting the resumption of the league so we can continue from where we left off,” he told Citi sports.
“But then the decision they took we were into it and thought it wasn’t right for football to continue.”
“In as much as it is a blow to me, I have no option than to accept it and slow down on my training section.”
The GFA last week in a marathon meeting anounced the 2019/20 Ghana Premier League season has been cancelled.
In statement the country’s football governing body said they were left with no option to cancel amid the covid pandemic.
The statement blow
The Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), has taken a decision to cancel the 2019/20 football season following a marathon meeting on Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at the GFA Secretariat in Accra.
Accordingly, all records associated with the season have been expunged but fines accrued must be honoured by clubs.
There shall also be no demotion and promotion.
The League season has been on suspension since March 16, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The GFA has been engaging Government, CAF and FIFA and on the way forward for the season following which the Executive Council has finally taken a decision to cancel the season after considering all the key factors.
The Executive Council also decided that per the relevant provisions of the CAF inter-club football Regulations, Asante Kotoko SC and AshGold SC will represent Ghana in the CAF Champions League and the Confederations Cup respectively.
The Executive Council will meet on Thursday, July 9, 2020 to discuss all issues relating to the next football season and Congress.
The GFA will continue its engagement with all sponsors and all stakeholders following the cancellation of the season.