The eight suspects accused of killing Major Mahama who were freed Tuesday are seeking compensation from the State for what they describe as ‘wrongful detention’.
Lawyer for the eight, Bernard Shaw, said they would file an application to demand compensation for the suspects for the experiences and ordeal they have had to go through for the past six months in custody.
The Attorney General’s Department said there is no ample evidence against Yaw Annor, Philip Badu, Kwame Adjei, Solomon Sackey, Vivian Asahene, Anthony Amegah, Solomon Kojo Fordjour and Ebenezer Appiah, for which they should be prosecuted for the crime, thus acquitted and discharged them.
“The law makes provision for the payment of compensation to people who may in the eyes of the law have been wrongfully imprisoned or treated by way of prosecutorial charge.
I have seen what they have gone through; the anxiety of having a trial and knowing the punishment for this offense is capital punishment. “So, they have to compensate them for the ordeal they have been through. Some of them have been away from their families,” Mr. Shaw said.
The lawyer asserted that “if the proper investigations, the assessment of the evidence had been done at the onset of the case before deploying an arrest,” they wouldn’t have come to the current situation.
Mr. Shaw further explained their decision to seek compensation is to ensure that the investigative bodies avoid such mishaps in the future.
“It is not just asking for the sake of it but so that in future, we want the criminal justice system to be fair; fairness to the accused, fairness to the victim, fairness to the public”.
www.primenewsghana.com/ Ghana News