Editor of the New Crusading Guide, Kweku Baako has disclosed that there are video footages of the alleged coup plotters planning to kidnap President Akufo-Addo and Vice President Dr Bawumia at a public gathering.
Speaking on Joy FM’s news analysis programme ‘NewsFile’, Kweku Baako said the videos will be used in court against the coup plotters.
“The scenarios where they even contemplated kidnapping of the President, they contemplated the kidnapping and this is in video, it will come out in court, they contemplated a situation where the President, Vice, CDS and some other top shots are at a congregation to explode that things they were doing in there, you see the guy manufacturing with the doctor by him, it is video and they talk of exploding these things………”
Sharing his views on some expert opinions offered by some security analysts that the pictures of weapons and ammunitions that surfaced on the internet did not show the said men will be able to carry out the alleged takeover, Kweku Baako said, “The 15 months time frame what was going on? It was intelligence gathering which led to a decision of arrest based on the evidence gathered.”
Five persons remanded
Senior military officer, Colonel Senyo Gameli and a civilian employee of the Ghana Armed Forces, Gershon Akpa with three others have been remanded by a District Court in Accra in connection with the alleged Jubilee House takeover.
The military officer and the civilian who were the recent arrested persons were in court on September 27, and were charged with unlawful possession of explosives, firearms and ammunition and are alleged to have worked with the other three other suspects, Managing Director of Citadel Hospital, Dr. Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, Donya Kafui (a local weapon manufacturer) and Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu.
According to the Prosecution ASP Sylvester Asare, the two men are members of a non-governmental organisation, Take Action Ghana, which was planning a series of demonstrations with the ultimate aim of taking over the Jubilee House.
He said in July 2019, TAG engaged the services of Kafui, a blacksmith from the Volta Region, to manufacture arms to enable them to complete their objectives.
Kafui, he explained, charged the group Ghc2300 as the cost for each pistol and Ghc400 as the cost for each explosive
He was then brought to the Citadel Hospital in Alajo, Accra to manufacture the arms.
ASP Asare said Kafui was able to manufacture 22 explosives , six pistols, three hand grenades and 5 ammunitions which he handed over to Dr Yao Mac – Palm, who is described as the leader of the group.
The prosecutor said based on intelligence, security operatives arrested members of the group and took possession of the arms.
The two have also be remanded into BNI custody and will appear in court on the 9th of October.
The district court in Accra earlier on Tuesday also remanded the three persons who were arrested in an alleged attempted takeover of the Jubilee House.
The three, Managing Director of Citadel Hospital, Dr. Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, Donya Kafui (a local weapon manufacturer) and Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu were charged with Conspiracy to Manufacture arms and ammunition without lawful authority, possession of explosives and firearms without lawful authority and manufacture of firearms without lawful authority.
The plea of the accused persons was however not taken by the court.
This follows a request by the prosecutors that because the state was still investigating the matter, they would want to continue to keep the accused in their custody.
The request was objected to by the defence attorneys who argued that the State should have been ready to prosecute the case if any, due to the number of days the accused persons have been with them.
But the magistrate, Rosemond Dodua Agyiri, granted the request by the prosecution and urged them to expedite their investigations.
She also directed the State to allow lawyers and family of the accused persons to have access to them.